The Chairman Who Always Brings His Own Chair - A Dedication to Dr. RV

   

The People who change the world never set out to change it, but they succeeded in changing it the way no one could imagine! What Dr. Ravindra (Dr. RV) Taught Me About Purpose, Possibility and the Courage to Serve

"God never wastes a wound. Sometimes, He allows us to experience pain so deeply that one day, we become the answer to someone else's prayer."

There comes a moment in life when titles no longer impress you.

Awards become ordinary.

Patents become numbers.

What begins to inspire you instead......is purpose.

Over the years, I have been privileged to meet remarkable entrepreneurs, scientists, educators and innovators from around the world. Yet every now and then, Allah introduces you to someone whose life quietly reminds you what true greatness looks like.

Not through power.

Not through wealth.

But through resilience, humility and service.

Dr. Ravindra is one of those rare individuals.

Interestingly, I didn't meet him through a conference, a boardroom or an introduction over coffee.

I first met him through his work.

It was my dear friend, Dr. Samiullah Khan - another extraordinary human being whose unwavering commitment to sustainability and social impact I deeply admire - who first shared Dr. Ravindra's work and his remarkable journey with me. As I read through his story and learnt about his inventions, I found myself intrigued by the man behind them.

Ironically, although I had known of him for months, it took nearly four months before our paths finally crossed in person.

And what an introduction that turned out to be.

As we sat down for what was meant to be a discussion on a hot summer day in Dubai, about a project we would soon be associated with, he looked at me with the biggest smile and said,

"I am the Chairman wherever I go... because I always bring my own chair."


For a brief second, I wasn't sure how to react. Then he burst into laughter. He was, of course, referring to his wheelchair. Before I could recover, he added with the confidence of someone who had completely made peace with life's challenges,

"I've built my wheelchair so well that I can race you... and I'll probably beat you. It does 30 kilometres an hour."

I laughed. But more than the joke itself, it was his spirit that stayed with me.

How many of us complain about life's smallest inconveniences?

Yet here was a man who had every reason to dwell on what life had taken away from him.

Instead...

He chose humour.

He chose optimism.

He chose possibility.

And that, perhaps, was my very first lesson from Dr. Ravindra. As our conversation continued, I discovered that he holds more than forty patents to his name.

That statistic alone is extraordinary. But what truly left me speechless wasn't the number.

As our conversation continued, I discovered that he holds more than forty patents to his name.

That statistic alone is extraordinary. But what truly fascinated me wasn't the number of inventions. It was understanding why he kept learning.

Dr. RV shared something that has stayed with me ever since.

His deepest passion has always been to serve People of Determination. Yet he realized early on that good intentions alone were not enough. If he truly wanted to transform lives, people needed to trust not only his passion but also his expertise. This resonated very deeply with my own purpose in life.

So instead of allowing life to define his limitations, he chose to redefine his own capabilities.

He immersed himself in research, pursued higher education, and eventually completed a PhD that brought together Artificial Intelligence and Music Therapy for Autism - not because he needed another title before his name, but because he wanted the knowledge, credibility, and scientific foundation to build solutions that could genuinely improve lives.

That struck a chord with me. Most people collect qualifications to advance their careers.

Dr. RV pursued knowledge to advance humanity. There is a world of difference.

It was therefore no surprise to learn that after paralysis, he went on to develop Hygriva, an AI-driven music therapy solution, building it with just one hand.

Read that again.

One hand.

Most of us wait for ideal circumstances before we begin. He simply began with what he had.

That is the difference between seeing limitations...

...and seeing opportunities.

The world often celebrates innovation because it is new. I celebrate innovation because it restores dignity.

When I learnt about KWAN, I realised it wasn't merely another assistive device. According to its own vision, it was created to give individuals greater independence and dignity in everyday life, including the ability to participate more fully in worship and daily activities.



 

There is a profound difference between building something people can buy...

...and building something people desperately need.

Perhaps this is why our conversations have always felt so aligned.

We don't begin by asking,

"What can technology do?"

We begin by asking,

"What does another human being need?"

That simple shift in perspective changes everything.

It transforms innovation into compassion.

It transforms design into dignity.

And it transforms lives.

It is also the philosophy that resonates deeply with the work we are striving to build through our work and our broader vision for inclusive innovation - creating environments where technology, education and opportunity come together to empower individuals, not define them by their limitations. Like everything I like to be associated with and aspire to do, the focus is not on disability itself, but on enabling independence, participation and lifelong purpose.

Dr. Ravindra reminded me that disability is not the absence of ability.

Sometimes...

It is the birthplace of extraordinary purpose.

Perhaps the real measure of a human life is not how many patents we hold, how many awards we receive, or how many titles precede our names.

Perhaps it is much simpler than that.

Whose life is better because we lived?

By that measure, Dr. Ravindra has already enriched countless lives - and I have no doubt he will continue to inspire many more.

May Allah continue to bless him with strength, wisdom and the ability to restore hope, dignity and opportunity to people across the world.

Ameen.


         Loads of blessings and prayers for you, Dr. RV. Humbled, Honoured and Grateful to have met                 you and looking forward to great things together  

          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Customer First: The Blueprint to Exceptional Service by Kay S - Launched on November 21, 2024

My Inclusive World – MyMaximus

Meethi Nazrein by Kavitha 'Nazm' Srinivasan